Ash Ketchum - True and complete informations

« Older   Newer »

1. Vincy allenatore
        +1   Like  

User deleted

This article was originally written in Italian by Pokénerd and then translated in English by me! ^_^

All you’re going to read here can be verified in the episodes of the series, so there’s nothing you can consider as an invention of mine. :)

Note: Some information may be removed or synthetized for reasons of length of the article, but this does not compromise their reliability.

Data on Ash Ketchum:

jiouigiu

Full name:

Ash isn’t a proper name but only an abbreviation of names like Ashton and Ashley. As a matter of fact, the sources we consulted reported the name Ashton as an official information.

I think it’s fair to explain you that in the Japanese 4th episode of “Black&White- Rival Destinies”, Alder is wrong with the name of Ash and Trip. In the American dub they thought to use the full name of the characters and, indeed, Trip is the short for Tristan. Generally, we prefer to call the others with their abbreviated names, and this is the reason for which Ash and Trip didn’t like to be called “Ashton” and “Tristan” by Alder.

Japanese Name: Satoshi Katsumoto.

Date of Birth:

22nd May. This date derives from the information that Takeshi Shudo gave us: Ash was born 10 years, 10 months and 10 days before he started his Journey. Considering that all the trainers started their Journey on 1st April after their tenth birthday, the exact date turns out to be 22nd May. Obviously, this means that, when he left for his Journey, Ash was almost 11 years old. Despite this, also in the Japanese version of the first episode we are told that it was Ash’s birthday but it was a clear mistake… Otherwise it would have been Gary’s and other trainers' birthday too, but it’s not so! This also explains the reason why in the first episode of the Black&White series it was made the same mistake.

Starting from the information left by Shudo and counting the astronimic seasons elapsed in the episodes, it is possible to know Ash's current age: 16 years old.
    You can read how old was Ash in any series of the anime at THIS LINK

Writers, during some interviews, were of course asked how old was Ash. Their answer was "Ash and Pikachu have no age", in the sense that Pokémon is a product intended for any age. So, in order to make sure that the protagonist could be considered as a landmark for any viewer, the rule was that Ash's age must never be "revealed". In Black&White series the writers have really made a huge mistake by providing a numerical value concerning Ash's age, because influenced by the idea to recall the first generation. In the anime series, especially long-lived ones such as Pokémon, with lots of staff in charge of it, it is very common to see such mistakes. It also happened in Dragon Ball: just as in the Black & White series, in the recent film "The Battle of the Gods" Bulma claims to be 38 years but, actually, according to the timeline, she was much older.

gyogyol

In episodes, indeed, many references have been made concerning the passage of years, in Black & White series too (which obviously has proven to contradict itself). The kind of setting which was given to this series by the writers would certainly have never been approved by the same anime's creator, Takeshi Shudo, and this is evident in his declarations.

Reasons why Ash is NO longer 10:

1) Officially, during the first series more than a year has passed: as a matter of fact, in the episodes some specific references to the months in which the series was set have been regularly inserted, so now it is possible to know in which period each episode was set. (time line of Pokémon Anime).

2) In the episode titled “Goodbye, Junior Cup – Hello Adventure!” of Best Wishes-Rival Destinies, Dawn clearly states that a year has passed since she took part in the previous Wallace Cup, so it’s impossible that Ash was 9 in that series;

3) In the episode "A Goldenrod opportunity" (Johto League Champions series) the Goldenrod's High Speed Train Magnetic was to be built and required a year. In the episode of Black&White in which Iris and Cilan decide to move from Kanto to Johto, they just used that train, proving (once again) the flow of the years in the story.

4) We must not forget that in the third short-movie “Pikachu and Pichu Brothers”, Ash celebrated his first encounter with Pikachu but obviously it wasn’t the first year from his first encounter with Pikachu. This mini-movie is set between the 4th and the 5th generation but there’s NO DOUBT it has passed more than a year from Ash’s departure.

5) Ash’s Lapras is grown. As a matter of fact, in one of the final episodes of Master Quest, Lapras makes a cameo appearence and we can clearly notice that it also changed in his physical aspect.

6) The pokémon center of Viridian City has exploded in the 2nd episode. When Misty left the cast (that is to say in the penultimate episode of Master Quest), the Pokémon center was completely rebuilt (as we can notice in the 65th episode “The Battle of the Badge”) and there was also a new Nurse Joy. The previous Nurse Joy also repaired Misty’s bycicle. So, it’s clear that some years have passed from the first series.

7) The same goes for the Viridian City Gym which collapsed after the aforementioned episode “The Battle of the Badge”. At the end of the series Advanced Battle, Ash passed through Viridian City and he looked at the Gym which was completely rebuilt. Even there, it was clear that years had passed.

8) In his book titled “Pokémon:The Animation”, Takeshi Shudo said that one of the Professor Oak’s brothers was the mayor of Pallet Town. In Pokémon Chronicles, however, the mayor of Pallet town was a person who had nothing to do with Oak. This means that few years passed and there was a new mayor.

9) Several trainers visibly younger than Ash went to take their first pokémon (the last of which was Trevor, in recent episodes of XY) and as you well know so far, it is NOT possible to receive the first Pokémon from a professor or affiliates BEFORE having turned 10.

vqi8ox

In addition to this information, as years go by and with the progress of the story, Ash objectively had a psychophysical growth and this is an undeniable fact. Scrolling through the episodes it is impossible not to notice that in the first series Ash had a totally different behavior from now, because now he is unequivocally more mature. You can deepen this aspect by reading this article and notice how Ash has changed over the years.

sghtdh3

Favorite Color:

According to some sources, contrary to what we expect, Ash’s favorite color is dark green. There are also references to the fact that his favorite Pokémon type is the Grass one (a simple coincidence? This information and that of the favorite color were not together), but I can’t give you official information about this.

Ash’s Family:

Ash’s parents are separated. to find out the reason CLICK HERE and you'll can read all the official information by Takeshi Shudo about the history of Ash's family and especially of his father. However, in addition to this information, a storyboarder has confirmed that one day, perhaps, Ash’s father will appear in the series. It depends on the maturity Ash will reach as a Pokémon trainer.

Ash's childhood:
    HERE we have official information given by Takeshi Shudo about Ash’s childhood too.
    <p align="center">a2ezj8

Height and Weight:

According to the JAPANESE OFFICIAL information, Ash's Height is 5’05” (1 meter and 65 centimeters tall). Ash is not very tall and several times it was possible to understand it in the anime. To avoid misunderstandings, this is certifiable by comparing him to Misty and Gary. Not everyone knows it but Misty (whose Japanese name is Yawa) is more or less as old as Ash and this was said by the same Takeshi Shudo. But Misty said this too in some Japanese episodes. As I said you before, in the first series both Misty and Gary were taller than Ash. So, Ash is not very tall and this has never been a novelty.
    Ash's Weight is 94,8 lbs (43kg). This too derives from Japanese official information.

Shipping:

A topic that mostly affects girls. CLICK HERE to know the real truth :)

Finally, a little curiosity: in an interview,Veronica Taylor, the 4Kids voice actress of Ash, revealed that when she auditioned for the role of Ash in the series, the character was known with the name of Casey and only later changed to Ash.

98h8nn

If you enjoyed my topic, you can also follow me on my page Dragonite's Page where, in collaboration with PokémonItalianInfo, you can find curiosities, headings and information about the Pokémon Anime!

Moreover, if you are Ash’s fans I hope you will come and see the facebook Fanpage dedicated to him!!

Edited by Pokénerd - 23/6/2016, 03:49

2. PokéKirby

User deleted

Well I really enjoyed the thing about Ash's age, but our Pokémon Central Wiki in English is called Bulbapedia.
    And yes, i said "our" because I'm italian just like you, I don't even know why I'm writing this comment in English!

3. hermione_W

User deleted

Uh, don't matter :P Sometimes I like talking and writing in English even if I'm Italian xD
    I'm here to add comments in the English page... The work of Greta is fantastic! She deserves a lot :)

4. Pokénerd

User deleted

Radically updated the article. Now it is much more schematic and less heavy to read :)

5. MCOury1998

User deleted

#NegaishippingForever Just gonna throw that out there! :)

6. Poke lover

User deleted

For the other sides of ash you should have included something from black and white. I would have recommended something from movies involving victenie. I don't think I spelled that right.

5 replies since 22/5/2013, 13:42   29366 views